Important Consumer/Contractor Information

California Business and Professions (B&P) Code requires any home or property improvement work valued at $500 or more for labor and materials be undertaken by a licensed contractor.  B&P Code also requires contractors to put their license number in all advertisements.  Those without licenses may do work valued at less than $500 for labor and materials, but must state in their ads that they are not a licensed contractor.

Consumers often don’t realize the risks associated with hiring an unlicensed person for construction and property improvement.  Phony contractors do not have a contractor license bond or workers’ compensation insurance.  A worker who is hurt on the job could seek medical reimbursement or other damages from the property owner.  California Labor Code requires contractors to carry workers’ comp coverage for each of their employees.  Roofing contractors also must have workers’ compensation coverage for themselves.  B&P Code requires contractors to have a $12,500 license bond to help compensate consumers if work is not completed or if something goes wrong on the job.

Ten Tips on Choosing a Contractor form the California Contractor's License Board 

Was your home built in or before 1978?

If so, you need to know the following important information:

As of April 22, 2010, contractors remodeling or demolishing more than six square feet indoors or 20 square feet outdoors must be trained and certified for lead safety by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) to work in homes, childcare facilities or schools built in or before 1978.

Buildings constructed in or before 1978 are likely to contain lead-based paint that can be disturbed during remodeling or demolition, creating dust and exposing workers and occupants to the potential health hazards associated with lead.

Scientific studies show children with high levels of lead in their bodies can potentially suffer from:

US EPA Renovate Right booklet: (Your contractor should provide you with a copy)

Database of CSLB-licensed contractors who are lead-certified:

Note: Homes constructed in or before 1978 may also contain asbestos!!

Any project 100 square feet or more that involves asbestos-containing construction materials must be performed by a contractor registered with the California Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH).

Asbestos Registrants Database: